1. Get there early, and I mean as soon as the tent opens. This is competitive shopping at its finest- you have practically every designer in NY (and many from LA) waiting at the gates. Plus, many of the big retailers send out their merchandising teams to buy up everything they can get their hands on we spotted people from Anthro, ABC, Rag and Bone, Tommy Hilfiger who scooped up just about everything in sight. Many dealers replenish their inventory every day so even if you get there on day 3 you’ve still got to hustle. Don’t forget to bring your granny cart so you don’t have to waste valuable shopping time going back for the small stuff.
2. Layer up. Temperatures fluctuate dramatically during the spring up in Brimfield, we were freezing yesterday but its supposed to be hot on Thursday- you never know, be prepared with lots of layers.
3. Eating = buying. While the food court is no Smorgasburg, it’s important that you stop and eat. Its easy to get carried away shopping all day but there was a study recent study that showed people are more likely to say” Yes”, than “No” just after they eat, so eating can positively affect your shopping mojo. I highly suggest the lobster place in the main food court- it is Wicked Awesome.
4. Bring cash, and a card. Many of the larger vendors accept cards but are more likely to give you a better deal if you flash cash.
5. Know your price limit. Just because it’s at a flea market doesn’t mean it’s a good price. Some of vendors (you know who you are Meadows people) jack up their prices so much for Brimfield, when you see the same vendors, or same things at other flea markets for much less. But, everyone is willing to negotiate so expect about 20% off the asking price, and more if it’s late in the day, late in the show, or part of a bundle. Know what you are willing to pay, give it your best shot, and don’t feel bad about walking away if the price isn’t for you.
Bonus tip– Yes, the Faddy’s apple cider donuts do taste as good as they smell. Follow your nose, wait on the line and enjoy the best $1 you will spend all day.
Most of all, have fun!